NDCO Survey on Information Sharing with education providers & employers
Call for Members for Premier’s Disability Advisory Council
If you are a person with disability or a carer, family member or someone with a demonstrated interest in disability issues, you are invited to express interest in becoming a member of the Premier’s Disability Advisory Council (PDAC). Up to six positions will be available.
To ensure regional representation, people from the North and North West of the State are strongly encouraged to apply.
PDAC assists the Tasmanian Government to implement Accessible Island: Tasmania’s Disability Framework for Action 2018-2021 and provides advice on whole-of-government policy and programs that impact on Tasmanians with disability.
The closing date for expressions of interest isFriday 21 September 2018.
More information and application packs are available fromby emailing or by calling 03 6232 7183 or 1300 135 513.
Meningococcal Vaccination Program
Advice from Director of Public Health in relation to the meningococcal vaccination program:
- The risk of contracting any strain of meningococcal disease is very low, but not zero.
- Vigilance for illness is critical. If you or one of your clients has symptoms, seek emergency medical treatment immediately. Symptoms include fever, severe aches and pains, headache, drowsiness and confusion. A rash may occur as the disease progresses. Illness in babies can include fever, distress, being mottled or floppy and not feeding. People with meningococcal disease often go from feeling quite well to extremely unwell very quickly.
- Immunisation of people eligible for the vaccination program is recommended – anyone born after 1 August 1997 is eligible.
- Smoking and passive exposure to smoke in confined spaces are risk factors for contracting meningococcal disease. Please discourage this.
For further general information and to find out how eligible persons can access vaccination, please see the website http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/menw
CYDA Education Survey 2017 Results Released
Children and Young People with Disability Australia conducts a national survey each year on the educational experiences of students with disability in Australia. It focuses on the direct experience of students with disability. The most recent survey results again highlight that the present education system if failing to adequately meet the needs of students with disability.
The survey summary provides an overview of the responses received. The summary can be viewed at http://www.cyda.org.au/education-survey-results-2017. There were 766 respondents nationally with representation from all states and territories.
Expressions of Interest sought for ACD Board of Management vacancies.
The Association for Children with Disability (TAS) Inc. – ACD Tas. is seeking expressions of interest to fill two Board of Management vacancies.
ACD works across the Tasmanian Community providing family support services and facilitating dialogue and solution based innovations for a Tasmania where people with disability, their families and carers have equal opportunity to reach their potential and lead fulfilling lives.
The ACD Board values the lived experiences and expertise of its volunteer members and seeks expressions of interest from friendly, intelligent, resourceful, and innovative people who are able to work effectively as part of a team and have experience in any of the following areas:
- Business Development
- Marketing and Promotions
- Finance and Accounting
To comply with the ACD constitution at clause 5 – Membership of Association
(b) It is intended that the majority of members shall be:-
- parents and other family members of an individual with disability;
- carers of individuals with disability;
family members of children and/or young people with disability are encouraged to express an interest in these Board of Management positions.